Thursday, May 20, 2010

Imposing Adult views on children....

I like to read a fitness blog titled The Great Fitness Experiment. The author discusses lots of aspects of fitness from the latest exercises to body image.

In her most recent post she talks about a Hooters waitress who was asked to lose weight (she is 5'8 and 132lbs) or be fired. Ok...fine. I feel sorry for this girl and maybe she can get a job where her body isn't a reason she gets good tips....

Then she shared the story below which really, really bothers me.....

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Parenting/girl-single-ladies-dance-sparks-controversy-internet/story?id=10644648

After watching the video and reading the article I was in awe. I kept dropping my jaw. Is the world really getting this bad? Did someone actually say we should not impose adult views on children? Don't we do that everyday when we guide our children to eat healthy, rest, exercise, have manners, read good books, go to school, be responsible, etc. So we should just step back and allow 8 and 9 year olds to "bump and grind" to an adult song and think nothing is wrong with it? The parents said their daughters love to dance and compete...and their daughters were phenomenal for sure...but there are other ways to showcase their talent, right?

They also mentioned this was a very popular song in Pop Culture and unless you isolate your children they will know this song. Yeah, my children know this song....but they aren't grinding. There is a lot of pop culture that I will not expose my children to. It just seems like standards are really going down the toilet. Makes me more grateful for the standards of the Church. They definitely are a guide to our lives.

I love the song "All the Single Ladies" but that kind of dancing is for Beyonce' and not children.
I'm just saying....

oh...as I remember the Chipettes were not dancing this way! maybe it is because they have short legs?

1 comments:

Granny's Blog said...

I couldn't get the video to play but from your comments I think I didn't miss anything. The world is quickly loosing what standards it has and we do have to impose our standards on our children if they are to have any standards at all!