Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Out with the old....

Early last year we were at some downtown function where Sophia was wearing a cheap pair of flip-flops. We went inside Solomon's (a locally owned, mom-and-pop operation-like Bennett's-for those from Athens) to cool off and look around. They carry name brands that aren't carried in department store like Rainbow and Crocs and Reef....just to name a few. I never knew flip-flops could be so expensive....anyway....we were trying on different flops and Fia fell in love with this pink pair. Her feet were hurting from walking around in the cheap flops so she REALLY wanted these. They were soft and squishy and the straps were this soft cloth! I didn't want to pay $20 for a pair of flip-flops that might get lost so i told her I would only get them if she paid half. She agreed. Well....fast forward over 1 year later and she was still wearing them....until yesterday.

We finally made it into Solomon's and purchased a brand-new pair. We tried to buy cheaper flops at different stores but none were as comfortable. And we even went to Solomon's a month ago or more looking for this pair but they didn't have it or we just went for another color...can't remember which. But she did get a green pair then...although they aren't as comfy(a different style...but she HAS to wear them doggone-it!)
So anyway....when I saw how PINK the new pair was it made me a little embarrassed that I have allowed her to wear the old ones for so long!!! I kept thinking they looked bad but she wanted to wear them so I let her. No telling how many parents looked at her feet and judged her mother!!
They didn't look so bad on those cute feet though!! Since she wore these until they were brown I paid the whole price for the new pair. She definately got her money's worth out of these! I am sold on the nice flip-flops though. They are so comfy...a little pricey-yes- but if you only buy one pair and they last you 6+ months and that is all you were during the summer(see me trying to justify getting MYSELF a pair) it is worth it!! I did find a pair I want....now I just need to check the couch cushions for the extra change!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Natalie said...

I think you sold ME on getting some quality flip flops! I've had the same pair that I wear every day during the summer for at least 2 or 3 years and they make my feet itchy. I was going to get some cheap Old Navy ones (Which will be $1/pr this Saturday) but that $1 might be better spent towards something that will last and be comfortable. Thanks for the inspiration! ...now to find some...

The Walker Family said...

You are such a bad mom! I need to call DHR-ah on you! Somethimes quality is worth the money!

the Villamor's said...

Natalie- I got 2 pair from Cato's last year and they were very comfy-only $10 each...which I thought was ALOT at the time! ha. I bought a pair at Kohl's a couple weeks ago and they aren't as good! Good luck!

Granny's Blog said...

Since I have to wear a wedge in my left shoe, I might know be able to wear flip flops or sandels this summer. Wawh,wawh, wawh .

Curtis said...

I agree: Sophia's feet make the old ones look cute.
It's good to find your blog.

Curtis said...

OK, I just found out about the big trip. WHAT FUN!! We're looking forward to a big write-up on everything that happend.

Chris said...

It was funny to read Natalie's comment. I've decided you'd make a good saleswoman...I think you convinced me too, that quality flip flops would be worth the price. I intended to leave a comment about that when I first read your post, but didn't get around to it.