Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Culture tidbit

When we visit with our elders here in the USA(like grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc)....what do you do to greet them? Hug, right. Well in the Philippines you "bless". The younger person takes the hand of the elder and touches it to their forehead....like a man would take a lady's hand and kiss it... only bring it to your forehead. I did it sometimes but didnt' find it very enduring. Not sure if that is the right word...and I mean no disrespect to this part of Filipino culture! I prefer to give hugs....they seem more personal. Rarely was there eye contact while the younger was "bless"ing their elder which I thought was odd. ...It is just a formality I am sure....a way to show respect to those older and wiser than you. I felt a little uncomfortable when the children were told to bless me....after they obediently took my hand and pulled it to their forehead I would grab them and give them a big hug and kiss. I even tried to hug some of RIchard's "tita"s and "tito"s...they didn't know what I was doing:) I think hugs are given only when leaving.

I sure loved learning and observing all these culture tidbits!!

1 comments:

Granny's Blog said...

Richard showed that to me a long time ago and I liked it. Finally, someone showing respect to me! He's never done it again....