Saturday, November 10, 2007

RIP Sammy the gerbil


Sammy the gerbil-this is the best picture we have of him


Just hanging out on top of his house


Nate decorated Sammy's "coffin" this morning with markers. He drew the circle to represent the wheel Sammy loved to run on.


He also put our initials around his name because we all loved him!
We got Sammy to be the class pet for my preschool children but we all grew very attached to the little guy. Below is the email I sent to the parents:
Just wanted to let you know that Sammy died this morning. I wanted to tell you about it in an email instead of in front of your child. I am not going to tell them the details of his ...death(hate that word!).... and hopefully they won't ask:)

He got out of his cage last night(Sophia and Nate forget to close it after playing with him so he escaped). Sophia noticed he was in her room this morning. FOr about 20 minutes we tried to catch him while he crawled in and out from under her bed and then in her closet and behind her bookshelf....it was probably hilarious to watch 4 people chasing a small gerbil around her room!!

Then I thought I could trap him with an empty box and then somehow scoop him up in the box.....well I did trap him but he wasn't totally underneath the box. Half of his body was under the box and the other half out....so I squished him in half :(. He died seconds later so we think he didn't suffer. It has been a very sad morning for all of us especially Fia and Nate. It is funny how attached you can get to a little rodent like that! Richard buried him and then they went to Petco to get a replacement. We now have a dwarf hamster that is brown and white. I will show him to the children on Tuesday and just talk about how "Sammy" is with Jesus now and how we get to have a new class pet. Not sure if we should pick a new name or just let this one be Sammy also....any thoughts on that?

One parent has already responded and said to let the children decide what his name should be-Sammy or something new. I will post new pictures of the hamster and his name next week:)



4 comments:

The Walker Family said...

just put him in the frezzer and he;ll alway be apart of your group! Make a spreadsheet of which kid can take Sammy home each day, Just need to make sure your kids who "check" sammy out has a freezer!

The Walker Family said...

I love your wesite.

Laine said...

Okay, Walker family is kidding, right? :) MK - I'm sorry!!! How traumatic.

TheVillamorFamily said...

Ha!! I totally forgot about putting him in the freezer!! That would be great!

Elaine-when we were growing up our cat died and it had been raining for a week! So since we couldn't bury him that night my dad put the cat in the freezer. It has been a family joke ever since!! ha!