Sunday, April 12, 2009

our Easter festivities!

Easter seemed to creep up on us this year...which was probably good so I didn't stress over what to do! We just played it by ear(where ever did that phrase come from???) and had a great time!
We started out dyeing eggs using the vinegar/food color method. That didn't last long enough so I got onto the internet and looked at other ways to decorate the little chicks. We found some methods using blown eggs. That process in itself was a fun activity! We painted and glittered those eggs.

Sophia wanted me to suprise her with our egg hunt this year. We don't have any traditions surrounding this activity so I am always aloof at what to do....not sure if that was the right context for that word but it sounded good! One year I used hid their prize in the house and used yarn as the guide to help them find it....but the yarn was woven all through the house. They had to follow their yarn to find their prize. We have also done scavenger hunts using clues that led to the next clue with a small prize along the way. Since I have done that in the past Sophia wanted something like that this year. She kept asking me what we were going to do and I just told her it was going to be a suprise...which she loves even more. I dont' think Nate had an opinion on the matter.

So anyway....I went onto the internet again looking for different ideas. I found one where you hide "money" in the eggs and then have a "store" for the kids to shop. So I made some "bunny money"- green squares with 4 different easter stickers....each one a different amount. Then i bought their favorite treats and put an amount on each one. I then put the bunny money in the eggs and hid them outside. I wanted to wait until it got dark and let them find the eggs using flashlights but they couldnt' wait that long so we did it earlier.

Again...anyway....they found their eggs and counted their money...then the fun began. Since I didn't pre-plan this I had no idea how it would go....which was a great thing because I had no expectations! I did expect there to be some whining, such as, "she has more than me!" or " he got what I wanted" or blah, blah, blah....but suprisingly there was none of that! It probably helped that I warned them that I would take away their candy if they did! threats are great aren't they!!

Anyway...I digress alot don't I! It turned out wonderful! Nate did buy something Sophia wanted so that led to....no whining but bartering! It was too funny and they were such good sports about the whole thing! Maybe this will become a tradition?? I am kinda glad we don't have any set tradition because it sure is fun to come up with different ideas! Well....that can be our tradition!

Their loot! yea...Nate is trying to "wipe" that smile off his face!
Oh....and we made rice crispy eggs....yum....my favorite!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the bunny money idea! I might have to do that next year... somehow... It sounds really cute and fun!

Unknown said...

those eggs are so cute!!! Do you make them just like regular rice krispy treats but form then into balls?! Amanda Mcminn's FAVORITE thing is rice krispies!! She'd love this!

TheVillamorFamily said...

yes....Amanda and I share a love for the crispy treats!! the real butter, generic crispy cereal and Piggly Wiggly brand marshmellows make THE BEST ones!!!

You need to let it cool slightly, then butter your fingers and roll them up!! makes me want one now!! you can make them into whatever shape you want!

Chris said...

Some fun ideas. We used to blow the eggs when I was a kid. I haven't done that with the kids in quite a while. We were talking about it though.
Bently & Ryan sure would be bidding on those Cheese-Its :)