Thursday, January 10, 2008

What to do....



My grandmother Enid or "Nannie" as we called her(she is who Sophia is named after) died last year. She lived a very full life and brought so much joy to everyone she was around. One thing that she did was make puppets. This is how she paid her taxes for a long time so you know she made A LOT of puppets which means she had A LOT of felt. Everytime we had a birthday or if she created a new puppet she would send me 2 or 3. I would save each puppet knowing they would be used one day with my children and my school children. I really would have loved to carry on the tradition of puppet making(this was something Nannie's mom did) and I did manage to make Wanda the fish and the horse. Every so often Nannie would send me a new pattern along with a box of felt. I didn't make enough puppets to use up the felt so over the years I accumulated a large amount. I always felt guilty when Nannie asked if I was making any puppets and I would tell her no....and I really don't see myself ever making any...which leaves me with the dillema....what do I do with all this felt!!

The above picture is of 3 bins full of large pieces. I just unloaded one bin that was just full of baggies(the ones the newspapers were put in on rainy days) with different colored scraps. These were the ones she used to make the eyes(which were usually 2-3 different layers) or the stripes or tongues or whatever. She saved everything! I also have already given away some felt so if I had taken a picture last month it would have been at least 5 of those plastic bins full!


I hate to throw them away....(which really means I will donate them to Goodwill) but I can't keep holding on to this much! I am going to keep a few pieces but this is a ridiculous amount for me!



So anyone want some felt?



This is just a few of the cute puppets my Nannie would make. I have probably over 100.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

If I had a use for felt, or thought that I would actually get around to making puppets or something out of it, I would totally take some off your hands...but at the moment I can't really see myself doing anything but adding it to our pile of boxes and bins... I'm thinking really hard though! If all else fails, there is craigslist.org ...maybe you could get some $$ for it.

The Walker Family said...

I would love to have some of the puppets! I have none from our childhood. YOu keep the felt and I'll take the puppets!

the Villamor's said...

Ahhhh...come on Natalie! You need a box of felt sitting around your apartment collecting dust! you know what else I found...those quiet book patterns...remember those??? Ahh the memories!

Speaking of memories...."One step, one stride, no matter if we stumble"

Laine said...

those puppets are so cute mk!!

Unknown said...

You still have an emotional attachment to the felt. Take it to Goodwill or The Salvation army and maybe a pattern too so someone will know what to do with all the felt.