Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Pysanky Eggs

At the MOPS group Chris, Amanda, and I attend we do a craft once a month. This past week we made these Ukranian eggs called Pysanky.




The first picture is what a professional pysanky-maker would do. The next pics are of what my egg looked like! It is very hard to draw on an egg! I felt like one of my preschool students trying to trace letters!!



After applying the wax and dipping the egg in the expensive dyes you melt off the wax and wipe down the egg. As I was doing the last step, I reached across the table to get another paper towel and ........






I dropped the egg on the table and cracked it! **sob** Oh well.....


It was fun learning how to do this and I have so much awe for this art form! I still have the egg on my counter wondering when the stink will start. The lady teaching this class on Monday said as long as the eggs are not cracked the yolk will eventually dry and the egg will last forever(as long as no one touches it!) I am curious how long my cracked one will last....but it isn't oozing so maybe it will just dry up as well???

3 comments:

Chris said...

OK Mary Kate...I looked at that first picture of the Pysanky eggs and thought-WOW, she went home and made some more eggs. Those look VERY impressive! You were really holding back on the talent when we were doing it together at MOPS.haaaaa I know you just didn't want the rest of us to feel bad. --- Then I finished reading your post & saw your egg(which looks just like mine except for the sad crack). By-the-way, for those of you who have never tried this art form, it is very hard to draw smooth straight lines on an egg.

The Walker Family said...

You'll know if the egg will last or not. The egg will put out a very distinquished smell to let you know when to throw it away, or was the Fia? LOL

Granny's Blog said...

I liked your egg. I bet it was hard to draw lines on an egg. What if you drew squidly lines and didn't try to draw straight lines, would it be easier? Probably not. The talent is in the straight lines.