Thursday, August 20, 2009

Dropping like flies....

I was going through my drafts and decided to go ahead and publish a few...this was started in July....

So back in May I had 6 students enrolled in my preschool! I had one opening left! Wahoo! But I knew this would be short-lived since 3 of my families had their house for rent or for sale. Within 1 month 2 of my students moved. OK. I have 4 others. That is enough to start the year off. Then last week the parents decided to move their child to another preschool so he could be around more children his age. I have always said the parent knows what is best for their child. I was a little sad but the parents know what is best... So I am down to 3. But I highly suspect one will not be returning because he will need full-time childcare in the Fall. So that leaves 2-one of which has her house for sale. I know the market is slow right now but she has had a lot of activity with showings and potential offers! So my 2 students could actually be one!


I have ordered 5 vinyl signs to help with my advertising and I plan to put them out next week in local neighborhoods to see if I can get some business. Surely there are 3-4 SAHM's that would like a high-quality preschool education for their child! The problem I run into is parents wanting a preschool close to home but needing full-time care....something I am not offering. I also do not offer a religious education and in a prodimently Baptist town that is another strike against my program. I am also a Mormon which is something Baptist frown upon. I guess they would think my religion might seep through into my finger plays? But i have so much to offer. My price is lower for many reasons but not because I skimp on my services. I offer small class size with lots of one-on-one attention. I use a wonderul phonics program that I tailor to fit each child's ability. I have my bachelor's degree and best of all I LOVE teaching preschool. *sigh*


When the economy was at its peak of "badness" and when business were closing I had the thought that it could also affect my business. Would families have the money for a private preschool? Would mom's have to go back to work and need full-time care? So in a way i was prepared for this slow time. then after my friend decided it would be best to put her child in another program I had the thought "there might now be enough people in this town to support another private preschool". The preschool at the Methodist Church closed in May because of low enrollement. Is that going to happen to me?


8-22-09 UPDATE:

Well I decided to "take a year off" with preschool. It was a very heart-wrenching decisions....very torn and even after I made a decision about when I would finally decide what i would do it was hard to finally make the decision I had already made. Ha. Wasn't that confusing! So now I am volunteering more at the school and teaching more at the gym. I will not be as busy but I know there will be things to quickly fill up my time I am sure! I dont' really think about not doing preschool because when I do it hurts...but I will teach again. I am not sure if it will be in my home but I will teach preschool again. Part of me was upset that I had all this equipment and what now?? But I can take it to another classroom...it is portable. It won't go to waste. Nothing I did or bought will go to waste! I loved my 2 years and know I made a difference in Kylie, Trent, Chase, Todd, Isabel, Addy, Kolby and Patrick....as they made a difference in me.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Undoubtedly, you ARE and AWESOME teacher!!! The preschoolers in this town are really missing out!!
Not to make you feel bad, but so are the seminary students. (not meaning their current teacher is not doing a good job) You are just a talented, dedicated teacher! :)

Kelly said...

This town doesn't know what they are missing. You made such a huge impact on Todd and his whole demeanor - we are forever grateful for all you did!