Wednesday, August 26, 2009

It's going to be a long year....

2nd grade is tough. Not academically but...don't know the word for it...but there isn't much room for error in the behavior department. Now I am not making excuses for Nate but he is struggling with trying to figure out what is acceptable at school and what isn't. When he is supposed to talk and when to be quiet...and even how loud his voice should be. Today I ate lunch with him and asked his teacher how his morning was. She said it has been tough and that he "screamed" in the hallway on the way to lunch. I asked him about it....he said he didn't scream and didn't know if he talked too loud or not...hmmmm. Someone was trying to get in front of him in line and he said "no!" and apparently it came out louder than legally allowed at LCE. He got a warning yesterday that he was getting a bad note sent home to me for his behavior. When I asked why he didn't really know. We have been through this avoidance of the truth before so I began going over the consequences if he didn't tell me everything. Well I got most of it out of him and warned him that his story better match up with his teacher's when I got the note the next day. He thought about that and then started crying. He didn't know if it was what she was going to say or why he was getting the note..he was really concerned and anxious about not knowing exactly what he did. At this point I believed he really didn't understand exactly why he was getting in trouble. I think in 1st grade they allowed more talking/playing. Maybe their lessons were more hands-on or more movement involved. Maybe he is having to sit more in 2nd grade and the wiggles overcome him. Maybe he keeps his lips sealed for so long that when someone tries to cut in front of him he explodes....on accident:) ha. Again...not making excuses. This is good for him. He needs to learn all these rules of society....I just hate the process!

I talk with him everyday about what he needs to work on. He listens and wants to change. I can tell he is processing everything and wants to do better. I have to remind myself that he is only 7. It will take time to learn these rules that come naturally for others.

So I am a little concerned that this is going to be a long hard year for him! His teacher is great but strict!

2 comments:

Granny's Blog said...

Poor Nate. These are hard lessons to learn but he is in the learning mode and maybe it won't take him too long to understand what is demanded of him. As long as you keep in close tough with the teacher you can understand what's going on in class. All I remember about the second grade was the math I didn't understand! I think it is a hard grade.

the Villamor's said...

hey...that reminded me of the math in 2nd grade. It was fractions and I didn't understand it either. Jennifer and I would go up to Mrs. Lamoray's desk and non-chalantly look at the answers for our classwork:) Guess I was a cheater in that grade;) ha!