Sunday, September 28, 2008

early mornings...


In our church there are no paid jobs. All assignments...or "callings" as they are usally called....are purely voluntary. We do not pick and choose what calling we have. We believe they are called by God. It is what He wants us to do. We usually do not know how long we will serve in a particular calling. Some assignments are easier than others. Some match our natural talents and some make us come out of our comfort zones. Each calling has its unique challenges and growth opportunities.


Right now my calling is to teach early morning seminary. Out West(Utah, Arizona, Idaho, etc) where the population of LDS teenagers is great, they have seminary as an elective course at the high schools so the students do not have to attend during the early morning hours. But here in the South (and in many other parts of the world) high school youth get up way before most teenagers to study the scriptures. We meet from 6:35-7:20. My nephew in AL meets from 6:00- 6:50 which means they leave their house at 5:40 to drive to the church. I can't remember what time we met when I was in high school but know it was 6:30 or earlier. One of the guys that comes to our seminary class rides his bike every morning to attend....even in the rain. And when his bike is broken he will roller blade or skateboard to get there. He is always there before me. We meet at a member's home so he just walks in and lies on the couch waiting for class to start. I admire him for his dedication...even if his Dad requires this of him. He willingly comes and is happy to be there.

This is a tough calling. It requires a lot of preparation but I believe in this scripture :

Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you.

I believe that when we give the Lord a little of our time He will make the rest of our time productive. It is like I find more time in the day to get done the other responsibilities I have. It dosen't mean I get everything done....my house is usually cluttered; the floors are dirty; laundry piles up; but I seem to get it all done. It doesn't mean I don't feel any stress about what needs to be done....but I don't get overwhelmed as easily now. My family helps out more...which is good. This will help me find ways to be more organized...well maybe;)
I know this is what Heavenly Father wants me to be doing at this time in my life and I know I will be blessed for this service. Do I always enjoy it? 99% of the time and I always do once I get there.. Is it hard to get up everyday? Yes. But the blessings far outweigh the negatives. I seem to always enjoy being around those sleepy and sometimes grumpy teenagers. I feel like I am teaching them and they always teach me something. What I am learning and how my testimony is growing is worth every struggle I have.

I don't like to share my personal beliefs with just anyone. I am not that bold. I was always uncomfortable around people who were always "praising" or talking about what they believe....so I didn't want to make others feel that way. But now I admire those who openly profess their beliefs. It doesn't mean I will start doing that(not my nature) but i do not want to shy away from opprotunites to share where i get my strength. Share what has made my life meaningful. Share some of what I believe.

For too long I have worried what others will think. I have allowed one instance(earlier this year) where someone accused me of being a member of a cult and non-christian affect me in "letting my light shine". I feel like a hypocrite sometimes because of this. I don't usually share with others what I do in the mornings. Why? Because I want to avoid any comments they might have about my religion. But they will probably be shocked that 7 high school kids get up that early to learn about Christ. They will probably admire them for this sacrifice.
Most mornings I try to workout before heading to seminary. There is a group of people that are always in the lobby visiting with one another after their workouts. They see me leave each day in a skirt/dress @6:25 am( we are asked to wear this to teach seminary). When they have asked "where do you work?" I tell them i teach preschool in my home...this is true. Why didn't I say I teach an early morning bible study class before preschool? They probably think it is odd that a preschool teacher wears Sunday clothes to play with 3 and 4 year olds... I have told one of those people what I do and I believe he told them but it would have been better coming from me. It would have showed that I was a Christian. I don't want to come across as trying to push my religion on others. My objective would be to show I am not ashamed of my beliefs. I do not want to apologize for what I believe...and sometimes I feel like I am doing that when I choose not to speak up. I hope I have another chance to tell them. I hope I take the other opprotunities I might be given to share what I do. I feel like it will be giving credit to these teenagers as well.
I have always believed our example is one of the biggest ways we show what we believe and I try to live in a way that shows that I believe in Christ. It is how we let our light shine. It is how we help others feel the love Heavenly Father has for them. I make mistakes everyday. I do not live up to what I can do but I can repent and try harder. I am grateful for the Atonement that allows me to do that.

We can not give others our testimony....that can only come through the Holy Ghost...and is very individual. It is my testimony that motivates me to meet with these youth. I hope to share with them what I know to be true. I hope to help them feel how wonderful they are and how much Heavenly Father knows and loves them; help them understand the Atonement and how it can change their life.
here they are again....
Arent't they a handsome bunch! And all taller than me....I know that isn't saying much though:)

5 comments:

The Walker Family said...

YOu go girl! DOn't be shy. I use to be, but when I couldn't quiet answer a dear friend's questions because I was too afraid, the guilt that I felt was not worth not answering! And from then on, I promised myself and the Lord that I would be his mouthpiece and I have. That was four years ago and fortunately, I haven't come across any opposition! (knock on wood!)

We meet at 6:15am when we were going to seminary "back in the day"! Forrest told me a couple of weeks ago that he's not tired when he gets up for seminary, but he is when he does for school. YEAH Forrest! He is very pleasant in the morning and never says, "I don't want to go". I beleive in your scripture, because Forrest is doing very well in school! I feel our whole family is being blessed by Forrest going to seminary.

BTW, we have found a great gas station with the best bisquits ever at the TN/AL state line. It's worth driving the 38 miles each morning to have one of these bisquits! YUMMY!

Laine said...

MK, loved this post. Thanks for sharing it.

Granny's Blog said...

Loved your outstanding testimonial! You'll do good no matter what happens and you are right about learning about some teenagers getting up early in the morning to study scripture. Talk about shinning light! I'm glad you get to teach Seminary. You learn so much about gospel principles, plus getting to know some cool teenagers and being a good example to them. Love you!

Chris said...

Mary Kate--thank you so much for being Ryan's seminary teacher! We love you, & he loves you!! You are an awesome teacher, no matter if it's preschoolers or teenagers. Your love,testimony and enthusiasm shine through and they all feel it and their lives are certainly blessed by being in attendance at seminary. Ryan NEVER complains about getting up early. He even pulled out his scriptures in history class last week and answered a question the teacher had :)
Thanks for your great example (& great post)

Granny's Blog said...

sadie we have to wake up at 5:00am every morning just to go to siminary its not fun and i have to do it for the next 7 years
SADIE