Sunday, September 21, 2008

No use crying over spilled brownies....



My mother's philosophy in life has been to "laugh first and then cry if you must"! She taught us to laugh at life's problems and try not to dwell on them. That is usually how I deal with my problems and daily struggles. I still get frustrated at times...but try hard not to go overboard over tiny mishaps. I still have my moments(just ask Fia and Nate) but am getting better.

Since we have a new puppy our floors are...ahem....little dirtier than usual. With the new puppy's small bladder I am cleaning little spots a lot and Cricket--feeling a little jealous--has decided to leave some of her own spots as well. So this afternoon I decided I needed to steam mop my sunroom and since I was already sweeping I might as well sweep and mop the rest of the floors. I don't normally clean on Sundays but it was necessary!

So.... for dessert tonight Sophia wanted to make some brownies. She was mixing the chocolate goodness at the table when I hear a bam. I turn around and the bowl is upside down on the floor. She quickly turns it over, sees the mess and says "I didn't mean to!". I chuckled at the sight and said "it's OK...the floors are clean!!" (and then I thought.... "the heat from the oven will surely kill the rest!") So I tried to skim the top layer off the floor(as much as you can with brownie batter) with my hands and put that into the pan to bake. Then Fia and Nate each got a rubber spatula and started cleaning up the rest and picking out the chocolate chunks to eat(hate to waste those!).

I could have easily gotten frustrated at the mess and the wasted brownies(and they would have been if I didn't clean my floors) but instead my first thought was how wonderful that the floors were clean so we could still eat the brownies!

I am not recording this story to brag about my level of patience because I still have a long way to go! But I wanted to write this down so the next time I am reading this (or the kids are reading it) it will remind me(and them) to have a little patience over the unintentional messes.
And you are probably thinking....Never eat brownies from the Villamor's!
Well....now you know why they are so delish!

7 comments:

Steve and Amanda said...

I know one person that would NOT be eating these brownies!!! See you Tuesday or maybe not til Wednesday! Mmmm...brownies sound so good right now!

Kelly said...

Hey, from a true chocolate lover, bravo on saving the chocolate to the best of your ability! Oh, and way to not flip out over the new mess on the clean floor! Not sure I could say the same for me!

Granny's Blog said...

What a cute story! You captured the moment just right. If that had been bran muffin mix it might have gone directly into the trash, do not pass go, do not collect $500.00. But chocolate has to be given a second thought and chance. I loved the part where the kids had spatula's and were giving the floor a clean sweep, the chocolate chunks and all!

Natalie said...

That is inspiration to keep my floors clean if I ever heard it! I made brownies yesterday, and I'd hate to think what would have happened if I spilled it. What a waste!

The Walker Family said...

You forgot to mention mom taught us the 10 second rule...and add seconds if needed! Great story! You never mentioned how the brownies turned out?

Laine said...

i would have done the exact same thing!

Rebecca said...

WTG Being patient!! It's hard sometimes! And YUM! Brownies!