Saturday, March 1, 2008

10K

So this morning I get up at the crack of dawn to run in a 10K. It sounded like a great idea last month when I registered for this event last night I was so tired that running was the last thing I wanted to do!! But as I got up and got ready i was getting excited. I picked up Sarah and we headed off into the sunrise ready to accomplish our goal of NOT coming in last!



We booked it up the interstate and arrived with all the masses of runners. It took us a while to find a place to park and we still had to change into our race attire! We thought about changing in the Target across the street but knew we wouldn't have time so we changed in the car. We were parked in the alley behind a shopping area so it was semi-private!



Here is our pre-race picture....notice how nice and straight my hair looks. Sarah looked "rough as sandpaper" and those were her words not mine;)!

What's better than one pre-race picture? 2:) Get your game face on!
So we get registered and attach or number to our shirts and stood in the LONG line for the porta-potties. It was LONG(did I mention it was lengthy?) and we didn't know if they would hold the race or what! We got to the front of the line and there were people behind us but when we came out of the porta-pot(always a lovely experience) everyone was gone! We walk up to where the race was to start and they are yelling "it has already begun! hurry and you can catch up!" Well....I had to stop and tighten my shoe and then we were off! There were quite a few walkers in the race so we knew we were going to be able to accomplish our goal with no problem at all! It took about 1 mile to get over the initial shock of running and then it felt good. The miles just flew by.

Throughout the race there are volunteers standing around at intersections directing traffic and making sure we are heading in the right direction. We made it a point to give them a "high-5" which most weren't expecting:) It was fun...there sure are a lot of uptight runners though. I could tell some didn't appreciate our humor!! Sarah and I were really suprised at how many people we were passing and really proud when we made it to the finish line in a little over an hour! I was pleasantly suprised that I beat my time from last year by 3 minutes! Also suprised at how much I have improved! Thanks Jessica for all those Saturday runs!

Here is a post-race picture. Notice how not straight the hair is now:) I was looking as rough as sandpaper here and trying to look....ummmmm...not really sure what I was trying to do.


And once again....2 post-race pics are always better than one!
Oh....and here is my war wound. A nice blister....well is that what you would call it? The skin was totally rubbed off! All for the cause!

update: click here and hopefully you will be able to see photos of us running





5 comments:

Granny's Blog said...

I proud oft the effort it took you to run. I know it must have been great feeling to finish. Would wearing socks help keep the blisters away? Or if yo were wearing socks, maybe some thicker socks would protect you twinkle toes better.

the Villamor's said...

I did have on socks Granny....they had just crept down and I couldn't stop to pull them up!

It was a great feeling to finish! Thanks!

The Walker Family said...

great job MK! I sure wished I could do something like that . Great job@

Laine said...

Way to go MK!!! I can still barely do 2 miles...but I'll get there eventually. I LOVE your pictures!

Chris said...

Way to go!! That's a great accomplishment! I'm ordering the 16x20 poster to hang above the mantel in our family room :)

I wish I could still run. The knees and the bladder just don't allow such antics anymore-ha