Sunday, April 27, 2008

Poetry

I became a member of the Children's Book of the Month club for the 3rd time 2 years ago just because their introductory offer is so good...you get like 100 books for 1 penny....well maybe just like 5 for $1 each or something wonderful and then you just have to buy 5 over the next 2 years to fulfill your membership. The only hassle is they send out the "month's selection" to you every month unless you call and cancel it or send in the reply card. I usually would just call and punch in some numbers to cancel them sending it or if I forgot and they sent it I would not open it, write "return to sender" and put it back in the mailbox. BUT last week I got "this month's selection" in the mail and decided to see what it was since I am always on the lookout for good books that I could use for preschool.....well it was 2 poetry books. I first thought I did not need these but then I thought I would just read some of the poems. Then I thought of my mother who loves poetry. I remember her reading poetry to me as I would fall asleep. Her mother was actually a published poet. Do you have that poem Mama? Maybe I do??

Anyway....the 2 poetry books I received were "Don't Bump the Glump" by Shel Silverstein...which I sent back(wasn't on the preschool level) and "My Dog May Be A Genius" by Jack Prelutsky. (those are both pretty cool websites....by the way;))
Anyway....the poetry in this book is fun and easy to read. One of my favorites is very easy to memorize....here is it:

Call of the Long Winded Clumsy Owl

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops!


I know...I know....I am easily amused!:)

7 comments:

The Walker Family said...

Hey, I'm jealous! I do not remember being read poems for bedtime. I had no idea that Grandmommy was a published poetry writer. I knew she had an English degree.....I love the owl petry! Whoooo!

The Walker Family said...

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops!

The Walker Family said...

whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops!

The Walker Family said...

thisis fun! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
ooooooooooooooooooooooooowhooooooooooooooooooooo

Granny's Blog said...

You have that poetry book from the University of Alabama that has Grand mommy's poem in it. I was on your mantel with some other books, I think. I've sure you've re-arranged the mantel since them. It's a little nondescript book-with a faded brown-orange cover. I hope you still have it. Please find it and put it in with your genealogy so it won't be lost.

Granny's Blog said...

I take it back, I have never, nor will ever be on your mantel! But that's where I book was when you first got it. I think you got some of her old poetry books too. It was the fashion to have old books somewhere in your decor. Do you remember that?

the Villamor's said...

Tj....I only remember Mama reading poetry to me one time really but I know she loved poems.

Mama-I was thinking I might have the book and I know which one you were talking about.

I hope you are never on my mantle either....the only way you could be would be in an urn! hardy har har!