Friday, April 4, 2008

My legs....

I looked for a pic of my legs but couldn't find any....but did find this pic of my cutey-patotey neice Mariam
who is short like me and looks like me too! Look at her beautiful legs!

Earlier this week I was with some ladies who were trying to get into shape for bathing suit season. And usually when women get together(especially at this time of year) the conversation goes to all the ways we dislike our bodies. I use to participate in this kind of self-loathing.....as a teenager feeling total disgust with parts of my body! My legs were one area that I loved to hate! There were so many things wrong with them....and if I could just do more lunges or give up sugar they would be where I wanted them!! But that was then....

Oh how thankful I am that I do not do this anymore!! It took a long time, an eating disorder, therapy, and lots of journaling to stop that kind of talk/thoughts.... it is so "freeing" to just love my body! Everyone is different and it kills me that society has made pencil-thin-anexoric models the "beautiful" that women feel they need to emulate.

So today while I was carrying those patio bricks (which weighed at least 30 pounds each) I was very grateful for my legs. I have asked them to do LOTS of work this week and except for the occasional ache and pain they did so good!! I did extra exercise, helped my friend lay tile(which involved lots of up and down and carrying heavy loads) and then the work we did today....and that was on top of the normal everyday "mom" duties!

So I am giving a "shout out" to my stubby, strong, beautiful, pasty-white legs!! Bring on the bathing suit!:) Just make sure you wear your sunglasses because these legs haven't seen the sun for 9 months!:)

5 comments:

Steve and Amanda said...

I can't wait to see your legs. I will do better at being happy with my body! THanks

Steve and Amanda said...

Don't forget to post about you knowing all in the eyes of Trent either on this blog or on your preschool blog!!!

Granny's Blog said...

Bless your bones...I thought I had cornered the market on body loathing! Even at my advanced age, I still don't like that extra 5 lbs. I'm carrying around. But it's different now. I don't worry about it like I used too. I'm glad you conquered the "body hate" at a young age. I love you.

The Walker Family said...

I have no comment!

Kelly said...

You go girl!!! I'm so proud of you!